Scapular of the
Passion of Our Lord
The Red Scapular
The Red Scapular of the Passion of Our Lord and the Sacred
Hearts and Jesus and Mary is a Roman Catholic sacramental scapular associated
with the Lazarists. It is often just called the Scapular of the Passion or
simply the Red Scapular but it should not be confused with other
similarly-termed scapulars described below.
The scapular and its bands must be made of red wool and unlike
most scapulars it is adorned with specifically described images which are
essential to it.
It is a Catholic belief that the Red Scapular of the Passion was
divinely revealed to Sister Appoline Andriveau, a member of the Daughters of
Charity founded by St. Vincent de Paul. According to this belief, from 26 July
1846 to 14 September 1846 visions of Jesus and Mary appeared to the sister in
her convent in Troyes, France and promised her that those who wear the scapular
faithfully and contemplated the Passion of Jesus Christ would be granted a great
increase of faith, hope and charity every Friday.
In describing a vision on the eve of the octave of the Feast of St. Vincent (July 26, 1846) the nun described Christ:
Sister Apolline described how she "shuddered" upon seeing Jesus
"rudely struck against the wood of the cross" and quoted the Blessed Virgin Mary
as saying that the "world is hurrying to its perdition because it considers not
the Passion of Christ...Do all you can to bring and consider His sufferings. Do
all you can to save the world." According to the revelation claimed by Sister
Apolline, to wear the blood-red scapular was to be "clad in the livery" of
Christ's passion and that it "will prove to us a strong armor against infernal
assaults, an impenetrable buckler against the arrows of our spiritual enemies
and, according to the testimony of Jesus Christ, to all who wear it with faith
and piety it will be a pledge of pardon, a source of grace."
Sister Apolline's spiritual director, Father J. B. Etienne, made
a trip to Rome the following year. The Holy See accepted the nun's claims with
unusual alacrity and Blessed Pius IX sanctified and approved the use of this
sacramental by a rescript on June 25, 1857. The pope granted various indulgences
to the wearing of this scapular and granted the Lazarists the faculty of
blessing the scapular and investing the faithful with it. The Superior-General
of the Lazarists was allowed to communicate the faculty of blessing and
investing the scapular to priests outside the Lazarist order and such a
scapular can now be invested by any Catholic priest.
In the United States of America, between 1953 and August 2008, the Red Scapular was officially promoted by the Marian Center operated by the Daughters of Charity of Saint Vincent de Paul (a branch of the same order to which Sister Appolline belonged).
- Foundation Marypages -